The William Greer Architectural Conservation and Craftsmanship Award recognizes outstanding work commissioned by property owners in conservation of Toronto’s built heritage.
The Award is named for one of Toronto’s most respected heritage advocates – William Greer, who was awarded the 2007 Special Achievement Award for over 50 years dedicated to heritage conservation.
Trinity St. Paul’sChurch (427 Bloor Street West)
Owners: Trinity-St.Paul’s United Church and Centre for Faith, Justice and the Arts
Heritage Consultant: ERA Architects
Heritage Craftperson: Clifford Restoration Ltd.
Trinity St. Paul’s United Church, built in 1889, implemented a multi-phase project to restore the building and improve the building’s multi-purpose functionality. The project included a new paint scheme to match the original aesthetic, restoration of a cast iron guard rail, installation of hardwood floors, and repairs to the ceiling and hammer beams
36 Hazelton Avenue
Owner: Toronto Standard Condominium Corporation
Builder: Alterra-Zinc (Hazelton) Ltd.
Architects: Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd.; Quadrangle Architects Contemporary
Heritage Craftspersons: Clifford Restoration Ltd., Seberras Professional Services Ltd.
The new 7-storey condominium at 36 Hazelton incorporated the street frontage of the neo-gothic style St. Basil’s Catholic School, originally completed in 1928. The façade was stabilized and retained, while the building’s masonry underwent restoration and the parapets were reconstructed.