After the surprising August 21st collision of two trains carrying dangerous goods in the heart of the west end of Toronto, many residents reached out to [SafeRail.ca] to ask for support in preparing for a rail accident or disaster.
In response to all of these questions and more, Safe Rail Communities and Christie Dupont Rail Safety Group are pleased to invite you to a Community Workshop on Rail Safety And Emergency Preparedness, which will include:
- A 30-minute presentation by Boris Rosolak from the City of Toronto Office of Emergency Management
- An update from Sheila Murray of CREW (Community Resilience to Extreme Weather)
- An update on efforts at City Hall from Sarah Doucette, Toronto City Coucillor, Ward 13
- A summary by rail policy consultant, Greg Gormick, of the recent Toronto derailment and what can be done to mitigate the risks of future derailments
- An interactive workshop in which all participants will have the opportunity to discuss and identify gaps in the emergency preparedness of their local community