In 2014, encouraged by the City’s Planning Department and Councillor Wong-Tam, The ABC Resident’s Association and Yorkville BIA sponsored a study to develop a Planning Framework for the Bloor-Yorkville/North Midtown Area. ABCRA and The Yorkville BIA partnered to hire professional planners to develop the Planning Framework.
This Planning Framework and Implementation Strategy provides comprehensive policy guidance for the basis for a Secondary Plan and Implementing zoning regulations. It is a long term vision for the future development of the area and presents strategies and policies to:
- guide development in distinct character areas and ensure heritage is retained
- improve the public realm and pedestrian experience
- protect and enhance the area as a desirable place to live, play, work, shop, visit and invest.
The Framework and Implementation Strategy was delivered to City Council and the City of Toronto Planning Department in August 2015 requesting that the City move expeditiously to develop a Secondary Plan and Implementing Zoning Bylaw that will give us the long overdue statutory planning rules for the Bloor-Yorkville/NorthMidtown Area.
In early 2023 we were pleased when the City announced it was moving to complete this long-awaited area Secondary Plan. However, our relief was short-lived. The City held only ONE public consultation meeting and then all action stopped once again.
As of December 2023, all we have are more promises of a meeting in 2024. We will certainly let you know when the City lets us know when they will be holding a Public Consultation Meeting to give YOU an opportunity to give YOUR OPINIONS about how your Neighbourhood should be planned and developed. In the meantime, ABCRA has written a set of bulletins about the what we think are the issues to be discussed when the City holds their Secondary Plan public consultations. We encourage you to read it.
Presentation: Bloor-Yorkville/North Midtown Planning Framework & Implementation Strategy
October 27, 2015
Report: Bloor-Yorkville/North Midtown Planning Framework & Implementation Strategy
Part 1: Background and Emerging Directions
The Background and Emerging Directions summarizes:
- the history of the Bloor-Yorkville/North Midtown Area
- information about the current planning policies
- incorporates key issues and opportunities that were discussed during the stakeholder consultation process.
Part 2 : Policy Approach
- 1.0 Application
- 2.0 Description of the Bloor-Yorkville/North Midtown Area
- 3.0 Vision
- 4.0 Intent and Objectives of this Plan
- 5.0 The Plan for the Pedestrian Realm Network
- 6.0 Architectural + Urban Design Policies
- 7.0 Heritage Resources
- 8.0 Policy Framework
- 9.0 Interpretation
- Map 1 Study Area Context
- Map 2 Existing Official Plan Designations
- Map 3 Districts
- Map 4 Precincts
- Map 5 Segments
- Map 6 Pedestrian Realm Network
- Map 7 Streetscapes
- Map 8 Landmark Area & Sites
- Map 9 Heritage Resources
- Map 10 Official Plan Site & Area Specific Policies
If you prefer, you may also download the full report. (note: PDF, 17.5MB)